The study of identifying, preventing and treating disease and injury in animals, and their general veterinary care. The main purpose of this narrow field of education is to develop an understanding of normal growth, development and functioning of animals including their nutritional needs, behaviour, breeding and care, and an understanding of principles and procedures used in the diagnosis, treatment, control and prevention of illness, disease and injury in animals. It also involves developing an ability to assess and evaluate clinical observations to arrive at diagnoses and determine the appropriate courses of action.
Veterinary Studies develops skills in:
- administering anaesthetics to animals
- administering and prescribing drugs and treatments to animals
- applying medical and surgical procedures to animals
- advising clients about the care of animals
- assisting with treating and caring for animals
- diagnosing and treating as a result of evaluating and interpreting clinical observations and tests
- observing, monitoring and reporting changes in an animal's condition.
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics