Chemists, and Food and Wine Scientists
Chemists, and Food and Wine Scientists study the chemical and physical properties of substances, develop and monitor chemical processes and production, develop new and improve existing food products, and plan and coordinate the production of wine and spirits.
Stable Future Growth
2356 Weekly Pay Before Tax
83% full-time Full-Time Share
40% female Gender Share
There are many tasks done by chemists, and food and wine scientists. A few are listed below:
- conducting experiments and tests to identify the chemical composition and reactive properties of natural substances and processed materials
- analysing and conducting research to develop theories, techniques and processes, and testing the reliability of outcomes under different conditions
- developing practical applications of experimental and research findings
- testing food products for flavour, colour, taste, texture and nutritional content
- advising on preserving, processing, packaging, storing and delivering foods
- developing quality control procedures and safety standards for the manufacture of food products
- examining grape samples to assess ripeness, sugar and acid content, and determining suitability for processing
- coordinating winemaking processes, directing workers in testing and crushing grapes, fermenting juices, and fortifying, clarifying, maturing and finishing wines
- blending wines according to formulae and knowledge of winemaking techniques
- Food Technologist
- Wine Maker
- Food Scientist
- Analytical Chemist
- Industrial Chemist
Women in STEM
"Be bold in what you wish for, and don't be afraid to ask for it... you'll need to work hard towards your dreams, but it is equally important to get help along the way."
Synthetic Biology Scientist
"It's not that people don't believe in your value or don't see your worth. Your resilience, intelligence and kindness will intimidate some people. "
Medicinal chemist and proud Gomeroi woman
"I'm super passionate about the environment and the problems of climate change, biodiversity loss and poverty facing our world."
Biologist and research fellow
"Follow your interests and take all the opportunities you can."
"There is always something to learn in every situation. Many of my best outcomes and most creative ideas are the result of overcoming difficulties I did not expect."
Senior Research Fellow