The study of planning, designing, developing, producing and maintaining motor vehicles including earth moving equipment, motor cycles and small engines. The main purpose of this narrow field of education is to develop an understanding of the theory and practice of the design, production and functioning of motor vehicles, vehicle body building, repair, painting and trimming, and maintaining and repairing motor vehicles, earth moving plant, motor cycles and small engines. It also involves developing an ability to organise, cost and complete the tasks required in the design, construction and maintenance of motor vehicles.
Automotive Engineering and Technology develops skills in:
- designing and developing motor vehicles, earth moving equipment, small engines and their components
- diagnosing faults in, servicing and repairing mechanical and electrical automotive systems and components
- interpreting and applying standards to the design of motor vehicles and components
- testing and evaluating vehicle performance and safety
- utilising the structural properties of materials for vehicle building.
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics